Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Never Thought I Would Say This...

...I miss school. The sad part about all of this is that I haven't had a break from classes since I got home from Youth With A Mission in 2003. I have been immersed in college ever since. Granted, I am only going part time now that I have a full-time job, but I have been looking forward to this summer break since I started working on my degree.

There is something about learning that makes me excited. Even though there are days during the semester when I wish that I could fast forward a few years to when I am walking across that stage, receiving my diploma (I will be pushing 30 at that point). I think I enjoy the challenge of writing papers and studying for exams. It is exhilarating to think that you bombed an assignment to then see a big red "A" on your paper.

Yesterday at work, we were all amazed to learn that Antioch College was closing, a school founded on the ideals that each student is an individual. They don't have a curriculum plan, they don't assign letter grades (merely pass or fail), and they simply learn. I wonder if the reason they are closing is because most students are like myself— they enjoy the thrill of working for that letter grade and drawing a line through the class when they are through with it... who knows, but it does make me wonder.

I am still deciding exactly what it is I want to do. I have changed majors in my mind a thousand times. I am sticking with English simply because I can get through it the quickest, and I enjoy reading (though grammar is NOT at all my strong suit). Do I go on for my master's degree? I would be probably be 40 by the time I finished that! : ) All thoughts to ponder as I travel through life!

No comments: