Thursday, July 5, 2007

Independence Day

I love the 4th of July. There is a hint of childlike happiness in the air. It makes me think of everything good and wholesome in my life. It is the day of traditions. Nothing seemingly spectacular happens, yet, the joy that resonates as a result of this holiday is spectacular! For instance, yesterday was spent with a bunch of families from church, great food, and our annual trip to the fireworks in Cambridge. Truly small town, but truly memorable!

When I am older, I will never forget the sounds the kids made as they squealed from the cold water of the pool. I won't forget the conversation around our coffee table in the living room about the sense of humor that Mother Nature has. And I won't forget the new heart-shaped firework display that happened on my yearly trip to the fireworks with my family. Those things will be with me forever, and because of that, I am a better person.

The world in which we live can be scary and overwhelming, but days like the 4th quell the urge within me to run and hide. Instead I take pride in this country I live. Last night as I listened to God Bless the U.S.A. as I have for many years now on Independence Day, and I looked into the sky with the colorful "bombs bursting in air," I was reminded of how truly blessed I am.

Listen to the noises of children. Stop and smell the roses. Enjoy the small moments in life... we are truly blessed! Happy Birthday America!

No comments: