Friday, February 27, 2015

Fast - Day 9

So, if you read my last blog, you know that I felt like God was calling me to a 40 day fast. I'm at the end of day nine, and I feel pretty good. There are a few work events that I have to attend in the next month that I decided I would eat at so it wouldn't become a big topic of discussion - not that I'm in anyway ashamed about my faith or my participation in lent or even the fact that I believe God spoke to me. I just remember Jesus talking about how we should behave during a fast, and that's how I want to be.

Anyway, I don't know what I thought was going to happen, but so far no major events have occurred. I do feel like scripture is coming alive for me, and I look forward to my time spent in the Bible each day, which is great.

The other thing that is happening is my increased awareness and sensitivity about what is happening around the world.

I have always loved the civil rights movement and always believed that if I had been alive in the 50's and 60's, I would have done something to help fight that injustice. I strongly believe in equality for all races because Jesus loved all people!

So, as I read the news and see all of the attrocities happening around the world - the increased momentum of ISIS; the slaughtering of Christians; the senseless murdering of children - I wonder if I am burying my head in the sand. Is this the Holocaust all over again, and I sit idly by do nothing?

I was so moved by the story of Kayla Mueller, who gave her life doing something. I think what can I do? I'm just little old me from Podunk, OH. How can I be a catalyst of change?

This is something I'm praying about - LORD - show me how I can be a voice for those who are dying and imprisoned. And, I'm also praying for the believers in Syria and surrounding areas - that God would strengthen them and give them courage.

I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds my future. And I'm asking that He would guide me to how I can love and serve those hurting around the world.

No comments: