Saturday, January 5, 2008

Friend Of God

James 4:4b "I say it again, that if your aim is to enjoy this world, you can't be a friend of God."


During a recent prep meeting for youth group, we discussed this verse. I don't remember the last time that one thought from scripture pierced my heart so strongly. We started discussing what this verse meant... We first focused on the outward—obvious sins like lying, cheating stealing, addictions, etc., but then our fearless leader brought us back to the idea of enjoying the world. Talk about hard to swallow.

There are so many times when I might not seem to be doing too badly in the sin department, but the heart of the matter is that I don't always feel like being concerned with what is on the heart of the Father. I might not be stealing, but I am focusing on my desires instead of Gods. What's worse?

Truthfully, I think that stealing might be the lesser of the two evils. So often, the heart issues get overlooked and buried because they aren't always obvious. We deceive ourselves into thinking that we are doing okay, but in actuality, we are painfully falling short of what God deserves.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think that it is okay to go out and steal, but I know that I need to start thinking of all of the time I have stolen from God. This section of scripture ends with a promise from God. The more and more that we make it our aim to be a friend of God, the more and more strength He gives us to stand against these evil desires. Isn't that just like our Heavenly Father? We consistently make a mess of things, and He pours out His strength when we turn to Him.

Tonight I am most thankful for that same grace that saved me.

No comments: